Topic: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Replies: 441   Last Post: Feb 5, 2013 6:25 AM

Virgil

Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter

In article
<5df917e3-517f-4a38-b28b-3638434966c7@t21g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 29 Mai, 03:58, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...@cwi.nl> wrote:
> > In article
> > <37a98f77-6bc9-4cae-88e5-fcbadd1d0...@q2g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>
> > WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

> > > But frequently I made use of what you call quatifier exchange
> > > and what is allowed in case of complete linear sets.

> > You think so, but you have to prove that it is valid for infinite
> > complete linear sets. Note that "classical logic is obtained from
> > finite sets". Nowhere in that quote the word linear is mentioned.

> Nowhere in that quote the word union in mentioned. Nevertheless the
> logical rules of unions are obtained from unions of finite sets.

While those rules may be suggested by looking at finite sets, the rules
themselves are not limited by the limitations of finite sets.

When one says that the union of a set of sets is the set of all members
of those member sets, there is no actual or implied restriction on any
of those sets to be finite.

> The logical rules of linear sets are obtained from finite linear
> sets.

That the rules for general well ordered sets may be suggested by finite
sets of finite well ordered sets, does not mean that when not finite
they must behave as if they were finite.

That WM is incapable of dealing honestly with infinite sets does not
limit everyone to his incapacity.

> > > It is generally true for complete linear sets. You have to prove
> > > that it is not.

Complete in this case meaning finite. Since WM cannot prove that his
claims hold except for finite "linear sets", which are merely finite
well-ordered sets, no one has to assume that they must hold for
arbitrary well-ordered sets, and there is good reason to suppose
otherwise.

> > It is not true for the infinite set of naturals.

> That is your claim. It is justified for potential infinity.

But outside of the tiny world of WM's MathUnrealism, there are
"potential infiniteness" cannot be applied to sets.

> It is wrong for complete sets.

By which WM means finite ones, but no one has claimed otherwise.

> The proof is correct for potential infinity.

But outside of the tiny world of WM's MathUnrealism, there are
"potential infiniteness" cannot be applied to sets.

> The proof is incorrect
> for actual infinity. In that latter case you need not take an n that
> is surpassed by m. Why don't you start with an n that has no greater
> m?

If one double quantifies with "AxEy" or " EyAx"one is not allowed to
constrain x, but must consider all x, even those ones wold prefer not to
consider.

So that one needs to consider not only n < m but also n = m and n > m.

> Not at all. By classical logic, a complete linear set has a last
> element.

Only if "complete" requires "finite", which,outside of the tiny world of
WM's MathUnrealism, it does not.

> > > I did never claim that quantifier exchange is allowed in case of
> > > non- linear sets, like cyclic sets as, for instance, your dice.
> > > That would be nonsense. A simple example: Every country has a
> > > country that lies west of it. But there is no country that lies
> > > west of all countries.

> > But as Weyl did not include "linear" in his words, how can that
> > quote support your claim?

> There are many finite sets with many special properties that follow
> from classical logic. One of them is that a complete linear set has a
> lst element.

What is incomplete or non-linear about the set of rational integers?

> You drop the completeness condition in certain cases but you assume
> it in case of Cantor's proof. That is cheating.

Cantor, in his diagonal proof of the incompleteness of any list of
binary sequences, does NOT assume that the given list is complete.

He merely proves that any given list is incomplete.

The Cantor challenge is: Provide me with a list of infinite binary
sequences and I will show you how to find one not in that list.

So until WM, or someone, can provide a list of infinite binary sequences
for which the Cantor rule fails to provide a non-member of the list,
Cantor wins.

And WM loses.

> > > For complete linear sets both are true, therefore [*] holds.

> > You just state without proof. Where in my proof above that it is
> > false did I go wrong?

> State before beginning whether the set that you assume is complete
> and static, i.e., every element is actually existing, or potentially
> infinite.

The set of all naturals, like every set in any mathematically sane set
theory, is static. It is "complete" only in the sense that it is not
merely potential but is actual. Anything that will be a member of it
tomorrow was already a member yesterday. It is well ordered, which means
that every non-empty subset has a smallest (but need not have a largest)
member.

> > > And
> > > you
> > > should recognize that actually complete linear sets obey [*].

> > Strange, I give above a proof that it does not hold. I did not use
> > "actual infinity" nor "potentially infinity"

> That is the point! You use the absence of element m when you choose
> n = m - 1. But you use the non-absence of m when you execute Cantor's
> proof. Then you do not admit that for every FISON(n) there is an m =
> n + 1 that is not in the proof.

Nonsense. N is a well ordered set, but has no maximal member.
Thus for every m in N there is an n in N such that n > m.

"AmeN EneN m > n" says, in effect, that there must exist some function,
say f, from N to N such that f(n) = M.

In this case, f(n) = n+1 is such a function.

So that if WM objects, he must find some member, say n, of N for which
(n+1) is not a member of N.

> > > Only
> > > potentially infinite sets do not. But you mix up things. You
> > > claim the existence of a complete linear set but disregard the
> > > necessary consequence of completeness or linearity, namely the
> > > validity of [*].

> > Why is that a necessary consequence? Because you want it to be so?
> > Can you give a *mathematical* reason?

> Every finite linear set obeys [*]. That is the mathematical reason.

But no infinite well-ordered set does, and such sets exist outside of
WM's wee wee world.

--
Virgil

Date Subject Author
5/27/09
Read Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/27/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
5/27/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/27/09
Read Answer to Tim Little, I. Walker et al.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/27/09
Read Re: Answer to Tim Little, I. Walker et al.
Virgil
5/27/09
Read Re: Answer to Tim Little, I. Walker et al.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/27/09
Read Re: Answer to Tim Little, I. Walker et al.
Virgil
5/27/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
5/28/09
Read Re: Answer to Tim Little, I. Walker et al.
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/28/09
Read Re: Answer to Tim Little, I. Walker et al.
Virgil
5/28/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
5/28/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
G. Frege
5/28/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Jesse F. Hughes
5/29/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
5/29/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
G. Frege
5/29/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
5/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
G. Frege
5/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Jesse F. Hughes
6/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
5/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Jesse F. Hughes
5/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Ralf Bader
6/1/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/1/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Jesse F. Hughes
6/1/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
george
6/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Denis Feldmann
6/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
William Hughes
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
William Hughes
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Guest
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/11/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
William Hughes
6/12/09
[...]
6/13/09
[...]
6/14/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Owen Jacobson
6/14/09
[...]
6/15/09
[...]
6/16/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/16/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/16/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
2/5/13
[...]
6/17/09
[...]
7/17/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
scriber77@yahoo.com
6/17/09
[...]
6/18/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/18/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/18/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
William Hughes
6/18/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/18/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/18/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
William Hughes
6/19/09
[...]
6/20/09
[...]
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
george
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
george
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Guest
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Marshall
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Jack Markan
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
6/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Guest
6/7/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/7/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/7/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/7/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/8/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/8/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/9/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/9/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/9/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
William Hughes
6/9/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/10/09
[...]
Rainer Rosenthal
6/11/09
[...]
6/22/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
6/25/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/25/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
6/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
6/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
7/1/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
7/1/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Guest
7/2/09
[...]
5/31/09
[...]
MeAmI.org
6/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
7/1/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
7/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
G. Frege
7/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
7/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
herb z
7/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Dik T. Winter
7/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
herb z
7/2/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
G. Frege
7/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Aatu Koskensilta
7/3/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Daryl McCullough
7/2/09
[...]
7/4/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Aatu Koskensilta
7/6/09
[...]
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
7/2/09
[...]
YBM
6/11/09
[...]
Read Who introduced false logic?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/28/09
Read Re: Who introduced false logic?
Virgil
5/30/09
Read Re: Who introduced false logic?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/30/09
Read Re: Who introduced false logic?
Virgil
5/30/09
Read Re: Who introduced false logic?
Virgil
5/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
5/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Virgil
5/30/09
Read Re: Answer to Dik T. Winter
Ralf Bader
5/27/09
Read Natural numbers are uniquely defined
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/27/09
Read Re: Natural numbers are uniquely defined
David C. Ullrich
5/27/09
Read Re: Natural numbers are uniquely defined
Virgil
5/27/09
Read Re: Natural numbers are uniquely defined
Guest
5/27/09
Read Re: Natural numbers are uniquely defined
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/28/09
Read Re: Natural numbers are uniquely defined
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
5/28/09
Read Re: Natural numbers are uniquely defined
Virgil
5/29/09
Read Re: Natural numbers are uniquely defined
Peter Webb
5/29/09
[...]
David Bernier
6/1/09