The Math Forum

Topic: How to prove that angle in a Circle is 2 Pi Rads ?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jun 8, 2009 9:23 AM

Calvin

Re: How to prove that angle in a Circle is 2 Pi Rads ?

On Jun 4, 3:21 pm, "[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz" <ku...@asu.edu.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:27:09 -0700 (PDT), Nimo <azeez...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >How to prove or assume or conclude or axiomate that
> >angle in a circle is 2*Pi Rads or 360 degrees.
> >

> Definition: One radian is the measure of a central angle that subtends
> an arc of length 1 on the unit circle.

It looks more like the question being asked is how
to derive the value of pi. Otherwise it's a trivial
question.

I've often wondered how the ancients were able to
find the value of pi so precisely as to know that
it is not rational. Of course they could easily
find the value of pi for all practical purposes,
but that's a different problem.