Topic: What should be a simple task....
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jun 16, 2009 9:51 PM

ihojnicki@gmail.com

Re: What should be a simple task....

On Jun 10, 4:09 pm, LBoogie <lwalker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 5:35 am, "Nelson-Patel, Kristin" <k...@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
>

> > Hi :)
>
> > I am an analyst (applied physics and math) who has to present all
> > of my work in Power Point briefings, sometimes on paper, sometimes
> > electronically. I vastly prefer working in Mathematica to another syste=

m;

.

> > In previous versions of both, I was able to Copy As: Metafile by right
> > clicking on the plot in Mathematica and Paste Special: Metafile in
> > Power Point, and all would be well (Ok, I had to tweak line thickness
> > settings and fonts in my plots to make them survive the transfer, but
> > that was fine). Now, I have select the whole cell rather than just
> > the plot to get the Copy As: metafile option, and I have to go all the
> > way to the menu bar to do it (no longer an option on the right click).
> > Fine, I can deal with that, but I can't deal with the fact that my simp=

le
> > plots look completely ratty now upon pasting into Power Point.
>
> > There's all this stair stepping in curves which should be smooth.
> > I've played with the PlotPoints option-no effect. I've exported into
> > different form ats with varying ImageResolution and imported; Either th=

> > fonts get screwed up or it looks even worse or there's ugly aliasing or
> > no effect on the stair stepping. I've exported to PDF and snapshot-c=

op=
> ied
> > from there; The curves look good, but now the whole image is just a lit=
tl=
> > bit blurry/soft, a little too much to pass muster with my supervisors
> > and sponsors.

> > I'm really getting frustrated now, have spent way too much time on what
> > *was* a solved problem before my "upgrades", and beginning to suspect
> > that the problem is some import or paste/display setting in Power Point
> > that I can't reach. I really don't want to have two different briefi=

ng=
> > for electronic vs. paper presentation, but I'm a little concerned that'=
> > where this is heading, or I'm going to have to use the other system to
> > make my plots. Which would bea shame.

> > Has anyone figured this one out yet? Help, please-I'm crying uncle.
> > This is one of those stupid simple problems that also happens to be
> > quite fundamental to the ability to make good use of Mathematica.

> > -Kristin
>
> I confirmed some quality problems Kristin is talking about. I tried
> copying and pasting the Plot[x,{x,0,1}] graphic from Mathematica 7 to
> Powerpoint 2003.
>
> Experiment #1: First I selected the graphic (not cell) then right-
> clicked to Copy Graphic. Next, I pasted to a slide and noticed some
> poor quality in the pasted graphic.
> Experiment #2: First I selected the cell of the graphic -- converted
> it to Metafile. I noticed that the converted graphic in Mathematica
> looks the same as the pasted Powerpoint graphic from Experiment #1.
> Experiment #3: Repeated Experiment #2 except that I converted the
> graphic to Bitmap. Much better quality in the pasted graphic except
> for some clipping at margins of the graphic.
>
> I think the Metafile conversion utility (Powerpoint/Mathematica) has
> some quality issues.
>
> Can someone recommend a command to extend the margins of the graphics
> to avoid clipping something important when the graphic is pasted?
>
> Thanks,
> Lawrence- Hide quoted text -

PowerPoint 2003 defaults to Windows Metafiles (the old Windows 3.1
format) when pasting. Use Edit > Paste Special and select Enhanced
Metafile.

Windows/Enhanced Metafiles do not support antialiased drawing. To
illustrate this, evaluate Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, PlotStyle ->
{Antialiasing -> False}]. It looks the same as the metafile. So, if
you would like a metafile to look better in print, try this before
copying/saving the graphic:

FE`Evaluate@FEPrivate`SetMetafileConversionQuality["High"]

This will create the metafile based on a higher resolution device, and
will consequently take longer to load. This setting presists
throughout the session and is *NOT* restored when a new session is
started. Use "Normal" to return to the default setting.

Ian