The Math Forum

Topic: Geometry Question #3
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jun 18, 2009 5:05 PM

Sharon

From: NYC
Registered: 6/26/05
Re: Geometry Question #3
att1.html (10.0 K)

Not true.? Let me tell you why.? I teach in the private sector.? We receive NYSTL money.? This is money from the state that allows us to purchase our textbooks.? Any book not conforming to the standards is disallowed.? Plain and simple, we are not allowed to purchase it.?

Maybe things are different in the public sector, but I don't really see why they should be.

Sharon

"Any textbook that the state of New York or your local government pays for must conform to the standards"

This is simply not supported by statute or guideline.

Where districts go through a textbook approval process, the best they can do is go for a "best match" - and in their judgment.

Ask SED if you can use a weird book, and they say it is your choice, as long as you teach the material in the standards.

"Any textbook that the state of New York or your local government pays for must conform to the standards"

This is simply not supported by statute or guideline.

Where districts go through a textbook approval process, the best they can do is go for a "best match" - and in their judgment.

Ask SED if you can use a weird book, and they say it is your choice, as long as you teach the material in the standards.

Jonathan Halabi

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:17 AM, <msedfun@aol.com> wrote:

Any textbook that the state of New York or your local government pays for must conform to the standards.? That's why there are approved and unapproved texts, and that's why there are New York State editions (especially in math).? If you look at some of the available high school math books, you will find that there is an extra chapter for the lucky state of New York.? That's because we require things that lie outside most standard curricula at the given grade level.

The text, in an ideal world, would present everything that is required by the state.? Maybe we don't live in an ideal world.

Sharon