Topic: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jun 27, 2009 11:09 PM

Marshall

Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?

On Jun 21, 12:34 pm, Andrew Tomazos <and...@tomazos.com> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 9:11 pm, Jan Burse <janbu...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

> > For example your theorem could also be formalize as follows:
>
> >      forall a, b, c in nat
> >         (a^2 + b^2 = c^2 &
> >          rel_prim(a,b) &
> >          odd(a) => exists m, n in nat
> >           (m<=n &
> >            a = n^2 - m^2 &
> >            b = 2*m*n &
> >            c = n^2 + m^2))

> > And I think this is better than distributing conjuncts
> > over C like statements separated by semicolon ";". First
> > of all because this language has already been 100-times
> > formally introduces in logic books.

> Are you sure the way you have written it is really clearer?
>
> When you think about it - if I state that a series of propositions:

> are individually true in some context, than it is exactly the same as
> saying:
>
>   A and B and C and D

Ignoring whitespace (which you should) the difference
between yours and Jan's form is the difference between:

A ; B ; C ; D ;

and

A & B & C & D

The difference is in the choice of conjunction character and
in whether it is a separator or terminator. These differences
are really, really trivial.

The surest sign of a language design noob is a focus on syntax.
Worry about the semantics instead; they're actually important.

Marshall

Date Subject Author
6/21/09
Read Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Jan Burse
[...]
6/24/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/25/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
MeAmI.org
6/25/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Jan Burse
6/26/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Jan Burse
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Jan Burse
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Joshua Cranmer
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Marshall
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Spiros Bousbouras
6/24/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Tim Smith
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Charlie-Boo
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
William Elliot
6/22/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
MeAmI.org
6/22/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
MeAmI.org
6/23/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Slawomir
6/24/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
David Bernier
6/24/09