Topic: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jun 27, 2009 11:09 PM

William Elliot

Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Andrew Tomazos wrote:

> Please consider the following formal proof language example:

It's a pain in the butt to read.
Here's the same which is much easier to read.

Let N be the natural numbers.
Proposition. For all a,b,c in N
if a is odd, a,b are relative prime and
a^2 + b^2 = c^2,
then there's some m,n in N for which m <= n,
a = n^2 - m^2,
b = 2mn,
c = n^2 + m^2.
Proof. ...

> package MyTheoryProof;
> using edu.mit.number_theory.*;
>
> theorem MyTheory
> {
> let N be NaturalNumbers;
> forall a, b, c in N
> given
> {
> a^2 + b^2 = c^2;
> a, b are_relative_prime;
> a is odd;
> }
> implies
> {
> m <= n;
> a = n^2 - m^2;
> b = 2 * m * n;
> c = n^2 + m^2;
> }
> }
> proven_by
> {
> }
>
> This is written in a Mizar-like language with some formatting changes
> based on the C family tree and some personal touches.
>
> Without any description of the language, I'm curious to know whether
> you can derive the meaning of the theorem statement simply by reading
> the code? The goal is for it to be both machine and human readable.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew.
>
> --
> Andrew Tomazos <andrew@tomazos.com> <http://www.tomazos.com>

Date Subject Author
6/21/09
Read Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Jan Burse
[...]
6/24/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/25/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
MeAmI.org
6/25/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Jan Burse
6/26/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Jan Burse
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Jan Burse
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Joshua Cranmer
6/27/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Andrew Tomazos
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Marshall
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Spiros Bousbouras
6/24/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Tim Smith
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Charlie-Boo
6/21/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
William Elliot
6/22/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
MeAmI.org
6/22/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
MeAmI.org
6/23/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
Slawomir
6/24/09
Read Re: Formal Proof Language Example - Human-Readable?
David Bernier
6/24/09