Topic: Shapes of Hieratic numerals
Replies: 13   Last Post: Jul 14, 2009 2:26 PM

Donald R. Snow

Re: Sad news about the Math-Hist-List

Fred, I have really enjoyed reading (and sometimes participating) in
the Math Hist list and hope that you can find another host for
it. Some suggestions are Yahoo Groups, Google, and
RootsWeb. RootsWeb is mainly family history, but there is enough
about people and history on the list that I imagine it would be
acceptable. Or it could be set up as a blog on some free blog
website. Also, what about the American Math Society website?

Anyway, thanks for all you've done for us and I hope it can continue.

Don

At 03:53 PM 7/9/2009, you wrote:
>Fellow Historians,
>
>It is with sadness that the Mathematical Association of American has
>informed me that the software license for this list will expire on
>July 14 and that this list will be "retired". The MAA will no longer
>host it. Messages sent to the list will not work; you may get a
>reply indicating "no such address" but I don't know.
>
>This list has been active since 1994 and there have been many
>interesting questions and discussions. Personally, it has been a
>rewarding experience. I hope that you feel the same.
>
>This decision was made without my consultation and I only learned of
>it recently, so I have not thought about how it might be continued.
>Your ideas would be welcome.
>

>V. Frederick Rickey
>Professor of Mathematics
>United States Military Academy
>West Point, NY 10996 USA
>
>845-938-4010
>fred-rickey@usma.edu
>http://www.dean.usma.edu/departments/math/people/rickey/

>7/9/2009 5:55 AM

Donald R. Snow, recently returned from the England London Mission,
London Family History Centre
Retired Professor of Mathematics, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
snowd@math.byu.edu