When I try to start Matlab under normal Windows 7 settings I get a pop-up "Error Starting Desktop" with about 50 lines of java.something.or.other.
- Changing Compatability mode to Vista causes it to die on startup without the error message.
- Selecting "Disable desktop composition" does nothing.
- Copying over the java directory results in a warning message: "Warning: Unable to load Java Runtime Environment: C:\%matlab-directories%\jre1.5.0_05\bin\server\jvm.dll is not a valid Win32 application", then after OK displays another warning: "Warning: Disabling Java support" and then starts some crippled version of Matlab with only a prompt.
- Adding the environment variables causes Matlab to close immediately upon startup.
- Running Windows 7 with the Classic theme is the only method I've found to work for me, so I'm still interested in finding a better solution.