Topic: derivatives, syms and fsolve
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jul 22, 2013 1:27 PM

Alan Weiss

Re: derivatives, syms and fsolve

The problem you see is because fsolve requires standard floating-point
numbers as inputs, but D is a symbolic object.

To see an example of converting a problem from symbolic to float, and
then solving with Optimization Toolbox, see

FYI, to find the maximum likelihood solution, you don't need to take
derivatives. Just minimize -lik. I believe that in general this will be
more robust, because finding a zero of the gradient might find a
stationary or even local minimum point.

Alan Weiss