Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

David Bernier

Re: A new math usenet group

Cliff B wrote:
> William
>
> Are you any closer to having an answer to your original question - is
> a new group needed?
>
> Did you have in mind setting up the group yourself if you could have
> sufficient help from others as moderators?
>
> An interesting question that was asked in this thread was whether
> sci.math had terms of reference/ a statement of purpose. I don't
> think the question got an answer - or else the answer is that there
> are no TOR. My feeling is that the group's value is in providing
> answers to questions about maths - that is, to genuine questioners,
> not lazy students trying to get someone to do their homework for them.
>
> Does this group presently have an 'owner'? I know that all google
> groups do, but I don't know how usenet groups work.
>
> There is an important debate about whether people who use this group
> to repeatedly make baseless claims that they have made fundamental
> discoveries in mathematics should be denied entry to a new group. My
> own feeling is that the problem is not so much the 'cranks' but rather
> that some people insist on having endless debates with them. On the
> other hand, the latter group includes many talented mathematicians who
> make a positive contribution to the group. They make the mistake of
> trying to have a rational debate with irrational people. I would
> have to reluctantly say that for any new group to work, it would be
> necessary to exclude the cranks.

There could be a common tag-word system, a generalization of
"OT" for off-topic. So for anti-crank, a tag something like
NTCRNK . Those who do not wish to read anti-crank posts,
if those are labeled NTCRNK in the "Subject:" header,
could create a filter to kill-file any message with
NTCRNK in the subject: header.

Sensible people who want to respond to W. Muekenheim might
well be willing to add an NTCRNK tag. Or, the anti-Muck.
tag specifically for Mueckenheim could be NTMNHEIM.

Those who debate with anti-cantorians could add
a nCANT tag to a reply to an anti-cantorian.

If the tags are well-designed and adhered to, at least
to some extent, they could serve as keywords for
filtering on Subject: .

For advanced topics, some of the AMS designations of
fields could be offered as keywords that may be included.

This potential discussion could be done with the same
civility used in the RFC documents that led to
Networking standards under DARPAnet, Arpanet and
later on the Internet, and Web standards and protocols.

David

> The answers in this thread provide a perfect illustration of the
> problems that exist in the group as a whole.
>
> On Aug 14, 3:56 pm, William Elliot <ma...@rdrop.remove.com> wrote:

>> Who all would like to have a new math discussion group
>> sci.math.moderatered or sci.math.mod that would
>> be a moderated group with a platform or topic focus
>> similar to sci.math's platforum?
>>
>> If such a group was set up, who would be willing to
>> be the moderator?

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Penny Hassett
8/16/09
[...]