Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

William Elliot

Re: A new math usenet group

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, Cliff B wrote:

> William
>
> Are you any closer to having an answer to your original question - is
> a new group needed?

Yes, this group is so bastardized, it needs relief.

> Did you have in mind setting up the group yourself if you could have
> sufficient help from others as moderators?

Yes, if others would do the moderating.

> An interesting question that was asked in this thread was whether
> sci.math had terms of reference/ a statement of purpose. I don't
> think the question got an answer - or else the answer is that there
> are no TOR. My feeling is that the group's value is in providing
> answers to questions about maths - that is, to genuine questioners,
> not lazy students trying to get someone to do their homework for them.

Do I remember some description of sci.math years ago when Google
had usenet groups search link? What ever happened to that search
facility? That link is now gone from google.com to be replaced
by other stuff and junk.

> Does this group presently have an 'owner'? I know that all google
> groups do, but I don't know how usenet groups work.
>
> There is an important debate about whether people who use this group
> to repeatedly make baseless claims that they have made fundamental
> discoveries in mathematics should be denied entry to a new group. My
> own feeling is that the problem is not so much the 'cranks' but rather
> that some people insist on having endless debates with them. On the
> other hand, the latter group includes many talented mathematicians who
> make a positive contribution to the group. They make the mistake of
> trying to have a rational debate with irrational people. I would
> have to reluctantly say that for any new group to work, it would be
> necessary to exclude the cranks.

It may be necessary to require a modicum of mathematical sense.
Seems if you let a crank present his supposition, than sooner
or later he will transgress into blither and be dismissed out.

> The answers in this thread provide a perfect illustration of the
> problems that exist in the group as a whole.

Either the moderators need to come to a consensus about cranks
and other mosquitoes or sci.math.mod will fly with variation
of moderating styles. The bulk of the vermin I'm sure, the
moderators will easily agree upon.

There is a person who monthly or so, posts a guide to sci.math
who could help composing a platform and Bart in a previous thread
showed good skill at stating a platform. If nothing is forth coming
regards a platform, I'll cobble one myself and use it for the
announcement of a new group.

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Penny Hassett
8/16/09
[...]