Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

David Bernier

Re: A new math usenet group

Ken Quirici wrote:
> On Aug 16, 1:25 am, David Bernier <david...@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> Cliff B wrote:
>>> William
>>> Are you any closer to having an answer to your original question - is
>>> a new group needed?
>>> Did you have in mind setting up the group yourself if you could have
>>> sufficient help from others as moderators?
>>> An interesting question that was asked in this thread was whether
>>> sci.math had terms of reference/ a statement of purpose. I don't
>>> think the question got an answer - or else the answer is that there
>>> are no TOR. My feeling is that the group's value is in providing
>>> answers to questions about maths - that is, to genuine questioners,
>>> not lazy students trying to get someone to do their homework for them.
>>> Does this group presently have an 'owner'? I know that all google
>>> groups do, but I don't know how usenet groups work.
>>> There is an important debate about whether people who use this group
>>> to repeatedly make baseless claims that they have made fundamental
>>> discoveries in mathematics should be denied entry to a new group. My
>>> own feeling is that the problem is not so much the 'cranks' but rather
>>> that some people insist on having endless debates with them. On the
>>> other hand, the latter group includes many talented mathematicians who
>>> make a positive contribution to the group. They make the mistake of
>>> trying to have a rational debate with irrational people. I would
>>> have to reluctantly say that for any new group to work, it would be
>>> necessary to exclude the cranks.

>> There could be a common tag-word system, a generalization of
>> "OT" for off-topic. So for anti-crank, a tag something like
>> NTCRNK . Those who do not wish to read anti-crank posts,
>> if those are labeled NTCRNK in the "Subject:" header,
>> could create a filter to kill-file any message with
>> NTCRNK in the subject: header.
>>
>> Sensible people who want to respond to W. Muekenheim might
>> well be willing to add an NTCRNK tag. Or, the anti-Muck.
>> tag specifically for Mueckenheim could be NTMNHEIM.
>>
>> Those who debate with anti-cantorians could add
>> a nCANT tag to a reply to an anti-cantorian.
>>
>> If the tags are well-designed and adhered to, at least
>> to some extent, they could serve as keywords for
>> filtering on Subject: .
>>
>> For advanced topics, some of the AMS designations of
>> fields could be offered as keywords that may be included.
>>

> I do not believe Google groups allow killfiling, and I only
> use Google to access groups (there are others - in fact
> AP on occasion complains about the slowness of
> Google). I would ask for any solution to be useable
> on Google as well as other usenet access methods.
> This does complexify things I guess.

I thought about that after sending my reply.
Maybe sci.math has no charter, since it was created in
the early days of Usenet. A sci.math.mod
could have a charter, which is a plus
I think.

David

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Penny Hassett
8/16/09
[...]