Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

Penny Hassett

Re: A new math usenet group

William Elliot wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Cliff B wrote:
>

>> Others have already put their hands up to be moderators I think.
>> However I'm happy to help in any way I can. I would suggest however
>> that the filtering be done by poster rather than by post. A great
>> deal of work involved if each post is to be checked.
>>

> Many posts can be discarded just by the subject.
> It's apparent that some posters need to be ousted.
> One poster with more alias than corrupt congress has lobbists
> will have to be summarly ousted, every time he dares to enter.
>
> So far I've two or three who are willing to be moderators.
> Are you also willing to moderate? Sci.math.research has
> four rotating moderators.
>
> There's two aspects to a platform.
> One is what is on topic.
>
> Discussions about math, elementary through advanced
> and related topics such as math history, math education,
> math texts and books (except solution manuals), mathematicians.
>
> The other is about decor, which can be developed as the group forms.
>
> Any comments about the platform I've just penned?
>
> ----

I'm for a moderated group and although I really, really don't want to
devote the time to it I reluctantly offer to be a co-moderator if there
are sufficient volunteers to ease the burden and I don't disagree too
much with the policy.

I suspect it might become easier with time as the people who habitually
submit posts that would be censored by the moderators will eventually
stop trying.

For my part, I wouldn't ban Plutonium, and I wouldn't ban JSH; the
latter has the courtesy to alert everyone when he starts a thread. Herc
is marginal and Musatov is almost a definite. I would also censor all
abusive replies to the above and any other messages.

I suspect that if we were to say any message on here has to be
mathematical in nature then it would often be too difficult to decide.
My desired outcome would be that the newsgroup is somewhere where
strangers feel comfortable dropping in. I looked up my earlier postings
while writing this one and came up with
<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.math/browse_thread/thread/bb84729b5abb3a45/6eb2984225776613?hl=en&q=wallpaper+group:sci.math#6eb2984225776613>.
The newsgroup was a lot more pleasant place back then.

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Marc Mertens
8/17/09
[...]