Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

David R Tribble

Re: A new math usenet group

Bart Goddard wrote:
> Right now, all we have is a junk group. So even if we add a pedant group,
> it's an improvement. But I think you have no worry here. The only
> way sci.math.moderated will turn sci.math into pure junk, is if it's
> successful. And it won't be successful if it's a pedant group.

Sci.math is not a completely junk group. The fact that you and
other math-worthy posters are here is proof of that.

That being said, it is undeniable that sci.math has an unacceptably
large percentage of nonsense, troll postings, and spam.

Most of my enjoyment of sci.math is learning about math
(as I am only an amateur mathematician) by reading the interplay
between those in the know and those not. This includes the
more interesting banter posts provided by the totally clueless
cranks - but only the interesting and polite ones, a minority.

Of late I find absolutely no interest in the likes of James Harris,
Archimedes Plutonium, et al, and most especially Musatov (who
almost single-handedly has prompted this serious attempt at forming
a moderated math newsgroup). It's bad enough that it's just clutter,
but it's real sin is that it's just dull and boring.

So what I'm saying is that while I would certainly not miss
most of the garbage and nonsense currently littering sci.math,
I would in fact miss some of the, um, cream of the nonsense,
for the entertainment value as well as the educational value
(from the reasoned retorts). I worry that a pedant-only newsgroup
would be simply boring by comparison.

-drt

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Penny Hassett
8/16/09
[...]