Topic: A new math usenet group
Replies: 148   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 AM

Guest

Watch Watch this User
Re: A new math usenet group

Jack wrote:
> I would be rather open-minded as a moderator:
>
> Jack
> (1 user) More options Aug 14, 2:33 am
> Newsgroups: sci.math
> From: Jack <jackbate...@live.com>
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:33:34 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: A new math usenet group
> Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
> original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this author
> On Aug 14, 1:56 am, William Elliot <ma...@rdrop.remove.com> wrote:
>

> > Who all would like to have a new math discussion group
> > sci.math.moderatered or sci.math.mod that would
> > be a moderated group with a platform or topic focus
> > similar to sci.math's platforum?
> > If such a group was set up, who would be willing to
> > be the moderator?

> I would like to if at all possible. I have the time to commit to the
> position, and I think all sci.math regulars would agree with me that
> this is a positive, productive step for the betterment of the group.
> I'm relatively new here, but I would like to stick around and learn
> about math while participating in the discussions of the group, and if
> I could help out at the same time, that would be great (this should
> allow me to make up for my lack of experience and expertise in the
> field).
>
> Jack
> (1 user) More options Aug 14, 2:35 am
> Newsgroups: sci.math
> From: Jack <jackbate...@live.com>
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:35:03 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: A new math usenet group
> Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
> original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this author
> On Aug 14, 2:27 am, "Musatov" <marty.musa...@gmail.co> wrote:
>

> > If what is at stake is an understanding of geometric and analytical
> > variations in the complex division of integral and differential equations of
> > contemporary local and regional variations in graduate curricula and
> > students' work outside the formal educational system, of on-the-ground
> > variations in the everyday content of students' lives, inside and outside
> > of their schools, then it must be recognized that, at some nontrivial
> > level, none of the systems for generating primes associated with these
> > variations can be severed from spatially and temporally specific
> > mathematical practices, from axioms that not only enable the discovery of
> > theorems, applications, geometric depictions and operating rules, but that
> > also regulate and control, that normalize and spell out the limits of the
> > solvable systems through the conveyance of disapproval, ridicule and
> > reproach.

> And of course I would help rule out the obscenities put forth against
> a devoted poster and encourage replacing that with constructive
> criticism.
>
> However, I am not sure if I made it onto the list...

Listen, you know what, I trust Jack, but I don't. I mean, he was nice
to me but I don't know him from Adam and he could be Scott Aaronson
for all I really know. I propose that the moderate solution is simply
this: no post may be removed unless it has hateful violent exicit
vulgarity by set standards agreed by an open poll vote by the
community at large. And if this is agreed on the person that does the
banning should simply and be automatically a process to s/he so s/he
may easily dump violating posts to be viewed as sort of the anti-to-
platonic-heaven, more like the Nihilist unwind in plutonic hell. Posts
there should be available to be read but not replied to or commented
on the context they are contained for viewing. Yes it is a little like
the 'hall of horrors' post hallway of cranks, trolls, haters, and
yanks, but it may be fun to stop by and witness those lost souls
memories of frustrated replies or posts that are simply sent to
Sci.Math hell for open viewing where they shall remain forever then
there shall be to them coughing and brushing their teeth, instead of
the much more ominous currently held version, torment and gnashing of
teeth.

Musatov

Date Subject Author
8/14/09
Read A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Musatov
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/16/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
adamk
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David Bernier
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
David R Tribble
8/17/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/15/09
Read I am working
Guest
8/15/09
Read Double Helix Replacement for DNA and Special Relativity
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Brian Chandler
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jesse F. Hughes
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Constructive Truth
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
lwalke3@lausd.net
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/18/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/19/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Aatu Koskensilta
8/20/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
brian fletcher
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
William Elliot
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Herman Jurjus
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Cliff Bott
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Frederick Williams
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Pubkeybreaker
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
OwlHoot
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Richard L. Peterson
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Jack
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
hdbanannah
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bart Goddard
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
J. Antonio Perez M.
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
mensanator
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Guest
8/14/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
scribio_vide
8/15/09
Read Re: A new math usenet group
Bacle
8/14/09
Read easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
Guass163
8/14/09
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
ken quirici
11/24/12
Read Re: easier to ban Musatov: help contribute evidence
11/26/12
[...]
Read Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
Constructive Truth
8/16/09
Read Re: Easier to ban Speech than to Ignore it?
ken quirici
8/16/09
[...]
Penny Hassett
8/16/09
[...]