Topic: How's this? Proof (hopefully) that pi is irrational.
Replies: 5   Last Post: Sep 12, 2009 7:10 AM

Guest

Watch Watch this User
Re: How's this? Proof (hopefully) that pi is irrational.

> In <tkidd.834615695@hubcap> tkidd@hubcap.clemson.edu
> (Travis Kidd) writes:
>

> >Yes. But nowhere is either the numerator *or* the
> denominator 0 until the
> >limit is reached. (I'll repeat what I just said in
> reply to another post...
> >I neglected to mention that k is positive.)
> Therefore (I hope...I agree this
> >is the weakness in the proof), since substituting k
> for x yields equivalent
> >functions, the limit of the quotient would be 1.
> >

> But this is definitely not true. You seem to want to
> think that
> if f and g are continuous functions,
> then
> lim f(x)/g(x) = f(k)/g(k)
> x->k
> but it isn't true unless f(x)/g(x) is itself
> continuous at k,
> i.e. unless g(k) not equal to 0.
>
> it's not clear what you mean when you say
> "substituing k for x yields equivalent functions" --
> once you substitute k for x, you no longer have
> functions, you have
> specific numbers.
>
> as someone else pointed out, choosing any k for which
> sin(k^2) = 0
> would work in your argument, whether or not k was an
> integer.
>
> Ted Alper

When a generic function is called, multiple-dispatch will determine the correct method to use.
<source lang="lisp">
(defgeneric add (a b))
</source>
http://MeAmI.org
<source lang="mmm>np">=mmm
(defmethod add ((a number) (b number))
Soliton (section Solitons in magnets)
In mathematics and physics , a soliton is a self-reinforcing solitary wave (a ... Solitons are caused by a cancellation of nonlinear and ...
2842
Soliton (optics) (redirect from Optical solitons)
In optics , the term soliton is used to refer to any optical field that does not ... There are two main kinds of solitons: spatial solitons: ...
5073\Topological defect
In mathematics and physics , a topological soliton or a topological defect is a ... Category:Solitons Category:Large-scale structure of the ...
870Vector soliton
Optical vector solitons can be classified into temporal vector solitons and spatial vector solitons. of both temporal solitons and spatial ...
2708
Dissipative soliton (redirect from Dissipative solitons)
Dissipative solitons (DSs) are stable solitary localized structures that arise in nonlinear spatially extended dissipative system s due to ...
2744
Soliton model
The Soliton model in neuroscience is a recently developed model that attempts to ... but traveling solitons do not lose energy in this way ...
790
Davydov soliton
Davydov soliton is a quantum quasiparticle representing an excitation propagating ... al solitons once formed decay rapidly when they propagate. ...
1259
Non-topological soliton
In quantum field theory , a non-topological soliton (NTS) is a field configuration ... class # Soliton
In mathematics and physics , a soliton is a self-reinforcing solitary wave (a ... External links: last5 Bergman | first5 K. | last6 Knox | ...
2842
Vector soliton
In physical optics or wave optics , a vector soliton is a solitary wave with multiple ... References : Kivshar and S.K. Turitsyn, Opt. ...
2708
Soliton (optics)
In optics , the term soliton is used to refer to any optical field that does not ... dielectric slab , then limiting the field on x using the soliton. ...
5073Korteweg?de Vries equation (section Soliton solutions)
The solutions in turn include prototypical examples of soliton s. ... begin align L & -\partial_x^2 + \phi, \ A & 4 \partial_x^3 - 3 \left ...
2261
Sine?Gordon equation (redirect from Sine-Gordon soliton)
lot of attention in the 1970s due to the presence of soliton solutions. ... ribbon to be a kink with topological charge \vartheta_\textrm K-1. ...
1402Supercontinuum (section Soliton fission regime)
In the majority of cases this is explained by soliton mechanisms; but as solitons were not reported in fibres ... External links : K. Ghanta, T. ...
5532
Dissipative soliton
Dissipative solitons (DSs) are stable solitary localized structures that arise in ... (x, t) describing the concentration of the different ...
2744
Non-topological soliton
In quantum field theory , a non-topological soliton (NTS) is a field configuration ...
(+ a b))
<
http://MeAmI.org? (TM)symbol=trademark==symbol;==?