Topic: honors/accelerated
Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 8, 2009 10:23 PM

sherry

Re: honors/accelerated

We are a 6-8 Middle School in a high needs rural district. We have
about 100 students per grade. There is only one teacher per grade
level per subject. Based on teacher recommendation, attendance, and
the NYS Assessment we accelerate in 7th grade. The students get all of
7th grade math and about 3/4 of the 8th grade curriculum.

Students who successfully complete the 7th grade program take
Integrated Algebra in 8th grade.

We are very fortunate that our 6th grade teacher is about to select
the students appropriately.

We have been doing this for about 15 years.

If parents want their child in the course and we do not think that it
is appropriate, we point out that the students can "double" up in the
high school. This works well for students who were not ready
developmentally in 7th grade.

Sherry Johnson
Little Falls

*