Topic: triangles and labels
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 14, 2009 11:52 AM

James King

From: University of Washington
Registered: 12/3/04
triangles and labels
att1.html (10.2 K)

I would like to add my two cents to this discussion. [I read all the
messages but have lopped off all quotes but the most recent from this
email. Since I get this as a digest, the number of messages quoting
was an interesting illustration of the quadratic nature of the partial
sums of an arithmetic series. It is really challenging to read
recursive quoting.]

I interpret the statement "triangle ABC is congruent to triangle DEF"
differently from Ted Stanford. I agree that triangle ABC and
triangle BCA are the same triangle as sets or polygons. But when one
states that two triangles are congruent, the congruence relation
imposes a correspondence between vertex angles and sides. Of course
it would be possible to say "triangle ABC is congruent to triangle
FED, with angle A congruent to angle E and angle B congruent to angle
D and angle C congruent to angle F" but geometers find it more
convenient to build this into the notation by saying "triangle ABC is
congruent to triangle EDF". So the order required by congruence is
expressed compactly by the notation (viz ABC -> EDF). Of course one
can also say "triangle BAC is congruent to triangle DEF" with the same
meaning. But if one states that "triangle ABC is congruent to
triangle BAC", this asserts that the triangle has a symmetry (and is
therefore isosceles). The same convention holds for similarity.

But this exchange made me curious about usage in geometry books by
authors of the highest qualification, so I looked into Coxeter's
Introduction to Geometry. He often avoids using this compact notation
by using words instead (not a bad idea), but he does use it. In fact
this theorem about transformations does not make sense without it:
"Any two similar triangles ABC, A'B'C' are related by a unique
similarity ABC -> A'B'C' ..."

Of course there are, as is often the case in elementary geometry, some
subtle points than can lead to confusion in a classroom or in a
textbook (the definition of "angle" is very tricky also). There
really is no practice that avoids all possibility of confusion. But I
think that the convention of using labeling to indicate the
corresponding vertices in a congruence is valuable and sensible.
However, there is nothing to prevent one from using more words and
less compact notation to get ideas across in textbooks and in the
classroom.

Secondly, I was seriously intrigued by the subtlety of Ted's comment
about isosceles triangles not being triangles at all if the base is
built into the definition. So an isosceles triangle is just a
triangle with an additional property: it is known that two sides are
congruent and we can label them AB and AC if we want. But the base BC
is actually not quite determined uniquely; for if the triangle is
equilateral, then we can label another pair of sides as AB and AC. An
algebraic analogy is given by definition of a cyclic group. The group
is known to have a generator, but there may be more than one choice of
generator -- but we usually choose one and give it a label if we want
to prove something.

Of course in practice, if we prove that a triangle is isosceles, we
normally know exactly which sides are congruent, but this does not
obviate Ted's point, as I understand it. In some cases there may be
no ambiguity at all (e.g. a right triangle has only one right angle --
and yes it is a triangle).

Jim King