Topic: Problem with memory usage (R2009a)
Replies: 11   Last Post: Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM

Sebastiaan

Re: Problem with memory usage (R2009a)

Outspan <borghiborghi@gmail.com> wrote in message <d003bdee-a668-4702-9486-b367d1625d5a@m11g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>...
> On Oct 20, 1:53?pm, "Bruno Luong" <b.lu...@fogale.findmycountry>
> wrote:

> > Outspan <borghibor...@gmail.com> wrote in message <32cf3331-9441-4f73-9b6f-f29d3fbf6...@s6g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>...
> > > Hi all,
> >
> > >... ?I also use up 300MB of
> > > memory, and I don't understand why.

> > Because of the REPMAT instruction.
> >

> > > bars = struct('date', [], 'time', [], 'open', [], 'high', [], 'low',
> > > [], 'close', [], 'volume', []);
> > > bars = repmat(bars, [1 500000]);

> I wrote earlier that I had 50K lines, but I really have 500K (so the
> parameters in repmat are correct). Is there a way to do this and use
> less memory? How come the .mat file is only 10MB but the script is
> using this much memory?

The .MAT files are compressed, while in memory, the data is raw (decompressed).

About the memory usage after loading the MAT file: what is the output of your 'whos' for the relevant matrix?

Sebastiaan