Topic: Meaningful proof
Replies: 3   Last Post: Oct 22, 2009 9:24 AM

Tanner, Howard

Meaningful proof

I have been "lurking" on this list during this debate, and have found
much of the discussion interesting.

It has been interesting to review my own definitions of triangle and
isosceles triangle etc.

I am old enough to remember being taught my geometry from Euclid (but
not by him), learning proofs by heart. It wasn't until many years later
that I realised that the proofs were supposed to make sense.

Sadly, I am one of those who should never be let near a geometry class,
because I don't think that teaching about ordered, labelled triangles is
the best way to approach this in lower secondary at least.

At times on this list, I do have a sense of being lectured to by people
who regard themselves as the cleverest kids in the room, whose word
should be accepted on pain of ridicule. I am not picking out any one
person as the biggest culprit in saying this. More than one person has
behaved this way and as an educator, I don't find it helpful.

Teaching children about proof is not easy. Rigour is necessary, but we
all need to start somewhere. Before demanding that we all start with the
most refined definitions, we might remember Lakatos.

It is easy to criticise practice that is not rigorous in a way which is
not helpful. I am currently concerned about a training video from
"Teachers TV" in the UK that shows a teacher trying to move from "good"
to "outstanding" (as graded by inspectors).

The video shows different ways of "proving" that the internal angles of
a triangle add to 180 degrees. Most of the examples offered showed but
did not prove and no distinction was made between them. I don't want to
attack the teacher or trainer involved, but I want to make sure that the
concept of proof is taught and learned effectively in our schools from
an early age.

The Euclidean proof is within the capabilities of many 11 year old
pupils, but it is not examined, so is often not taught. I don't want to
meaning. But I do want pupils to be challenged to think rigorously. It
would be more productive to consider how we might achieve this.

Howard Tanner