The Math Forum

Topic: intuitionism
Replies: 16   Last Post: Nov 1, 2009 3:33 AM

Bill Taylor

Re: intuitionism

Herman Jurjus <hjm...@hetnet.nl> wrote:

> Bill Taylor wrote:

> > I gather that the fault was mainly Brouwer's,
> > due to his excessively irascible personality and
> > trenchant writing style.

> The fault was mainly Hilbert's, for not being a great
> enough personality to keep personal matters separate
> from scientific and professional ones,

Maybe so, maybe so. I'm sure you know far more about it
than me. But still I note, that (AFAIK) Hilbert did
not have any similar feuds with anyone else, whereas
Brouwer seems to have put the back up of most people
he came into contact with.

-- Wondering Willy