Topic: Clustering algorithm Mathematica 7
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 16, 2012 1:06 AM

Darren Glosemeyer

Re: Clustering algorithm Mathematica 7

Jan Baetens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently, I'm using the built-in clustering algorithm of Mathematica 7,
> though it isn't clear for me which algorithm it actually is since this
> is not mentioned in the extended help pages. Presumably, it's the normal
> K-means clustering but I'm not sure.
>
> As such, I'd like know whether someone knows which implementation is
> used in Mathematica 7 for data clustering.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jan

The default is k-medoids. Agglomerative clustering is also included as a
method option. Brief discussion of the methods is included in the
documentation. This can be found by entering

tutorial/PartitioningDataIntoClusters

in the Documentation Center or online at

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/PartitioningDataIntoClusters.html

Here are some references about the methods that you might also find useful:

L. Kaufman and P. J. Rousseeuw, Finding Groups in Data: An Introduction
to Cluster Analysis, New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1990.

P. J. Rousseeuw, “Silhouettes: A Graphical Aid to the Interpretation and
Validation of Cluster Analysis,” J Comput. Appl. Math., 20, 1987, 53–65.

R. Tibshirani, G. Walther, and T. Hastie, “Estimating the Number of
Clusters in a Dataset Via the Gap Statistic.” Stanford Univ. Tech.
report. March 2000. (published Journal of the Royal Statistical Society,
B, 63, 2001, 411–423.)

Darren Glosemeyer
Wolfram Research