Topic: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Replies: 59   Last Post: Jul 27, 2003 5:48 AM

Brian Quincy Hutchings

Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work

nevermind. let's start another item!

tchow@lsa.umich.edu wrote in message news:<3ef34a55$0$3963$b45e6eb0@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>...

> But the fault lies not with Wiles or other "establishment mathematicians,"
> since they haven't claimed that elliptic curves and modular forms are the
> same thing.

> That's all correct, except that the part about "4 descriptors between
> them" is not precise. The "4 descriptors" are properties of *Galois
> representations*, not of elliptic curves or modular forms per se. To
> an elliptic curve one can associate a Galois representation, and to a
> modular form one can associate a Galois representation. Then we can
> talk about comparing Galois representations to each other. One does
> not directly identify an elliptic curve with a modular form anywhere.

> I don't follow you here. If I want to prove that every integer is
> an algebraic integer, how do I do this without mentioning algebraic
> integers?

--les ducs d'Enron!
http://quincy4board.homestead.com/
Funny.html (schoolboard stuffin')

Date Subject Author
6/17/03
Read Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
6/17/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
David C. Ullrich
6/17/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Virgil
6/17/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Daryl McCullough
6/17/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
6/18/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Aatu Koskensilta
6/17/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
David C. Ullrich
6/17/03
Read re: Tautologies, math, and Wile's work
G.E. Ivey
6/17/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Kenneth Doyle
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
6/17/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Joona I Palaste
6/17/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brian Quincy Hutchings
6/18/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
galathaea
6/18/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
6/18/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brian Quincy Hutchings
6/18/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brian Quincy Hutchings
6/19/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
6/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
6/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
6/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
6/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brian Quincy Hutchings
6/21/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
6/21/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
7/4/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Keith Ramsay
7/2/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
ayatollah potassium
7/3/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/3/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
7/3/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/4/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
7/5/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/9/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/9/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
C. BOND
7/9/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
7/10/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/10/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
C. BOND
7/10/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/10/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Virgil
7/11/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Wayne Brown
7/10/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/3/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
ayatollah potassium
7/8/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/9/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
C. BOND
7/11/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/12/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
C. BOND
7/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
ayatollah potassium
7/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
C. BOND
7/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brett
7/20/03
Read So you *are* jharris@tacoma-amedd.army.mil
Wayne Brown
7/20/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
ayatollah potassium
7/21/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
JAMES HARRIS
7/21/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/23/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/27/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
ayatollah potassium
7/27/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
ayatollah potassium
7/27/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Robin Chapman
7/21/03
Read Re: Tautologies, math, and Wiles's work
Randy Poe
7/3/03