The Math Forum

Topic: the probability theory has holes!
Replies: 31   Last Post: Dec 3, 2009 7:55 PM

Dik T. Winter

Re: the probability theory has holes!

In article <e38c715c-4ef2-4d72-9463-3190a555044a@c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com> eestath <stathopoulosee@gmail.com> writes:
> What i had in mind is Eratosthenes Sieve:
>
> for 2: we exlude the first 1/2

What remains is 1/2

> for 3:then we exclude 1/3 but half of them have factor 2 so we
> actually exclude 1/2*3

What remains is 1/2 - 1/2*3 = 1/3

> for 5:then we exclude 1/5 but half of them have factor 2 and 1/3
> have factor 3 so we actually exclude 1/2*3*5

Actually you exclude 1/3*5
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131

Date Subject Author
12/1/09
Read the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Kook Spotter
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Bart Goddard
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Bart Goddard
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Jim Burns
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Bart Goddard
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Pubkeybreaker
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Bart Goddard
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Gerry Myerson
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Bart Goddard
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Dik T. Winter
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Bart Goddard
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Bart Goddard
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/3/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Bart Goddard
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Nick
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Dik T. Winter
12/3/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/3/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Jim Burns
12/3/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
FredJeffries@gmail.com
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Dik T. Winter
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Henry
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/1/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
eestath
12/2/09
Read Re: the probability theory has holes!
Richard Tobin