Topic: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Dec 10, 2009 1:16 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?

Axel Vogt schrieb:

> In Maple (which - to answer your latter question - is not free of
> strange behaviours):
>
> eval( (a+b*I)/(c-I*d), I=-I );
>
> a - b I
> -------
> c + d I
>
> There is a (non-recursive) command 'substitute' as well, it would do
> here.
>
> For the other example given by Richard Fateman:
>
> simplify( x^2, {x^2=y^4} );
> 4
>
> This is called 'simplification with side relations' (=w.r.t
> equations).
>
> It however would not work for simplify( 1/sqrt(x^3), {sqrt(x^3)=y} ),
> the command needs polynomial relations.
>
> And it does not work for constants like simplify( 1/sqrt(2), {2=y^2}
> ).

Do I understand you correctly that it is impossible in Maple to
substitute something for arbitrary subexpressions? Are only variables
(and predefined constants like I) allowed? Would

eval( 1/x^2, x^2 = y^4 );

or

eval( 2*cos(x^2), cos(x^2) = sin(y) );

be forbidden syntactically?

Martin.

Date Subject Author
12/5/09
Read Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
AES
12/5/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Richard Fateman
12/5/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
clicliclic@freenet.de
12/5/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
AES
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Nasser Abbasi
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Nasser Abbasi
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Richard Fateman
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Mark McClure
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Mark McClure
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Nasser Abbasi
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Richard Fateman
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
AES
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Mark McClure
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Richard Fateman
12/7/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Nasser Abbasi
12/7/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Richard Fateman
12/7/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Nasser Abbasi
12/8/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
clicliclic@freenet.de
12/8/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Jon McLoone
12/9/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
clicliclic@freenet.de
12/10/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
fateman@gmail.com
12/10/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Dave
12/10/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
fateman@gmail.com
12/9/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Dave
12/10/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Dave
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Nasser Abbasi
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Richard Fateman
12/6/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Axel Vogt
12/7/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
clicliclic@freenet.de
12/7/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
G. A. Edgar
12/7/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
Axel Vogt
12/7/09
Read Re: Symbolic manipulation with Sqrt[-1] ?
acer