The Math Forum

Topic: Another AC anomaly?
Replies: 43   Last Post: Dec 21, 2009 8:08 AM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: Another AC anomaly?

"K_h" <KHolmes@SX729.com> writes:

> It violates the spirit of what a limit is in some cases. So,
> although it is sensible, it is not perfectly sensible.

Yeah, the discrete topology is different than other topologies.

But the standard topology on N is the discrete topology, too! Thus,
the standard definition of sequence convergence on N is inherited via
the subspace topology from Set. That is, a sequence
{a_n | n in N} c N converges (in N) to m iff

(E k)(A j > k) a_j = m.

This is (unless I'm just butt-wrong) the same as the definition of
sequence convergence on Set restricted to the subspace N.

So it seems to me that you either dislike the discrete topology (which
is certainly a bit odd) or you just dislike the discrete topology on
Set. The latter opinion is a bit odd, too.

--
"[Criticizing JSH's mathematics will result in] one of the worst debacles in
the history of the world. It is foretold in most mythologies and religions.

Date Subject Author
12/12/09
Read Re: Another AC anomaly?
Jesse F. Hughes