The Math Forum

Topic: Another AC anomaly?
Replies: 43   Last Post: Dec 21, 2009 8:08 AM

Dik T. Winter

Re: Another AC anomaly?

In article <iNWdnfmPh7NpQ7vWnZ2dnUVZ_hydnZ2d@giganews.com> "K_h" <KHolmes@SX729.com> writes:
> "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter@cwi.nl> wrote in message

> > Why?

> Why not?

See below.

> > > The sensibility of a definition is the real issue.
> > > Applying
> > > the so-called standard definitions to {n} leads to a
> > > cockamamie limit which is at odds with the general
> > > notion of
> > > a limit.

> > It is not.

> Why not?

See below.

> > > Otherwise
> > > let L=lim(n-->oo)X_n be the specified wikipedia limit
> > > for
> > > X_n. If L exists then:

> > So you wish to use different definitions of limits
> > depending on what
> > the sequence of sets actually is?

> No, the defintion I provided is one defintion that includes
> stuff from the wikipedia definition.

The definition you provided for a sequence of sets A_n depends on whether
each A_n is or is not a set containing a single set as an element.

Your definition leads to some strange consequences. I can state the
following theorem:

Let A_n and B_n be two sequences of sets. Let A_s = lim sup A_n and
A_i = lim inf A_n, similar for B_s and B_i. Let C_n be the sequence
defined as:
C_2n = A_n
C_(2n+1) = B_n
Theorem:
lim sup C_n = union (A_s, B_s)
lim inf C_n = intersect (A_i, B_i)
Proof:
easy.

However with your definition for a sequence of sets depending on whether
the terms of the sequence are or are not a set containing a single set
as element, this theorem does not hold.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131

Date Subject Author
12/12/09
Read Re: Another AC anomaly?
Jesse F. Hughes