The Math Forum

Topic: Another AC anomaly?
Replies: 43   Last Post: Dec 21, 2009 8:08 AM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: Another AC anomaly?

"K_h" <KHolmes@SX729.com> writes:

> Why do you ask? There are many ways a limit can be defined
> in ZF but the definition should embody the general idea of
> what a limit is.

Well, it's not at all clear to me what this means, but I do have a
question about general set convergence as presented in Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_superior_and_limit_inferior#General_set_convergence).

In general, the term limit is defined topologically: any topological
space comes with its own natural definition of limit. But it's not at
all clear to me whether "general set convergence" is a limit in this
particular sense. Is there a topology on Set so that the "natural"
definition of limit coincides with general set convergence?

If not, then I guess K_h has a point about the naturalness of this
definition of limit (and, conversely, if so, then K_h has no good
point at all).

--
"Eventually the truth will come out, and you know what I'll do then?
Probably go to the beach. I'll also hang out in some bars. Yup, I'll

Date Subject Author
12/12/09
Read Re: Another AC anomaly?
Jesse F. Hughes