The Math Forum

Topic: Another AC anomaly?
Replies: 43   Last Post: Dec 21, 2009 8:08 AM

Dik T. Winter

Re: Another AC anomaly?

In article <GLidnXhuo5t347TWnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@giganews.com> "K_h" <KHolmes@SX729.com> writes:
> "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter@cwi.nl> wrote in message

> > Well, the above theorem is still not valid with your
> > definition.

> What case did you have in mind? I found cases where it
> works fine.

Let's have some arbitrary object 'a' and the natural numbers. Create
the sequence A_n where A_n = {a} and the sequence B_n where B_n = {n}.
According to your definition:
lim sup A_n = {a}
and
lim sup B_n = {N}.
Now create the sequence C_n: C_2n = A_n, C_2n+1 = B_n. Again according
to your definition:
lim sup C_n = {a}
which is not equal to union (lim sup A_n, lim sup B_n).
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131

Date Subject Author
12/12/09
Read Re: Another AC anomaly?
Jesse F. Hughes