The Math Forum

Topic: Another AC anomaly?
Replies: 43   Last Post: Dec 21, 2009 8:08 AM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: Another AC anomaly?

"Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter@cwi.nl> writes:

> Within the definition presented there is a limit definition for sets
> that is derived from the underlying topology on the elements of
> those sets. At such it appears to me to be a natural definition,
> that is, an element is also element of the lim sup, it should be a
> limit point of one of the many pointwise sequences you can create
> when you take from each of the sets an element. lim inf consists of
> those elements that are limits of such pointwise sequences.

So, it's a kind of "lifting" of the definition of limit to sequences
of subsets of a topological space. Yes, that's fairly natural, though
it's still a different notion than a limit.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"Mathematicians who read proofs of my results seem to basically lose

Date Subject Author
12/12/09
Read Re: Another AC anomaly?
Jesse F. Hughes