Topic: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Replies: 74   Last Post: Jul 19, 2010 11:53 AM

Louis Talman

Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation

On Dec 17, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Haim wrote:

> Speaking of science, earlier I made the point that scientists are
> human beings, and fully capable of being motivated by ambitions
> other than the desire to discover truth. Well, I just came across
> the following passage in my current subway reading,
>
> "Without Conscience: The Disturbing World Of The Psychopaths Among
> Us", by Robert D. Hare, PhD.
>
> - ------------
> As a result, the prison records were often filled with carefully
> written personality profiles that seemed embarrassingly at odds with
> what everyone else in the prison knew about the inmates in
> question. I recall one file in which the psychologist had used a
> battery of self-report tests to conclude that a callous killer was
> actually a sensitive, caring individual who needed only the
> psychological equivalent of a warm hug! Because of the uncritical
> use of personality tests, the literature was (and still is)
> cluttered with studies that purported to be about psychopathy but
> actually had very little to do with it.
> - ----------------
>
> In other words, in addition to ideology, conformity, and careerism,
> we can add naivete and incompetence to the list of reasons why
> nothing, not even science articles in peer reviewed journals, can be
> the final word on anything.

Now there's a red herring if ever there was one.

Psychiatry is science? Since when?

- --Lou Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

Date Subject Author
12/1/09
Read The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/1/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Domenico Rosa
12/1/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/2/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Pam
12/2/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
7/19/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Bishop, Wayne
12/3/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/4/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Ruth Walker
12/5/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/5/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/5/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Ruth Walker
12/5/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/6/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/7/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/7/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
kirby urner
12/7/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/8/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
kirby urner
12/7/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Ruth Walker
12/7/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Ruth Walker
12/8/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/8/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/9/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/14/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/15/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
kirby urner
12/15/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/17/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/17/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Anna Roys
12/17/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/17/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/18/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/18/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/18/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/18/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/19/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/20/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/20/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/20/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/20/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/21/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/21/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/21/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/21/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/22/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/22/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Greg Goodknight
12/22/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/22/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Bishop, Wayne
12/22/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/23/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Bishop, Wayne
12/22/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/22/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/23/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
GS Chandy
12/23/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/23/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Ruth Walker
12/28/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
GS Chandy
12/28/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
GS Chandy
12/29/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/30/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/30/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/30/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
GS Chandy
12/30/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/30/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
12/30/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
12/31/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
GS Chandy
12/31/09
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
1/21/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
1/27/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
1/27/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
2/4/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Paul A. Tanner III
1/27/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Steve Cooke
1/27/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Louis Talman
1/27/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Bishop, Wayne
1/27/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
1/27/10
Read Re: The Worst Scientific Scandal of Our Generation
Haim
1/28/10