The Math Forum

Topic: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Replies: 164   Last Post: Mar 12, 2010 2:43 AM

jmfbahciv

Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science

I.N. Galidakis wrote:
> Joachim Pense wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> Greek is versatile in making up new words by composition, and that's what
>> western scientists did until recently.

> Here's a graphical example which partially shows this versatility, for those who
> can follow it:
>
> http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/writing/definition.html
>
> For general cultural exchange, I'd say it's pretty obvious that the most
> versatile one is American-English, because its bastardization is phenomenal. At
> least as witnessed by this author, after spending 10 years there.
>
> That, which is bastardized and mutated the most is the one which adapts and
> survives the longest.
>
> It's probably not an accident that the net is predominantly English.

The net is predominantly English because the US made most of the
hard/software during the 50s, 60s, 70s. If you think about it,
we didn't use English but shorthand forms of cybercurd (my word
for cybercruft). The documentation, which was shipped with
the hard/software, was written in American (not English). This
last sentence is very important because of the nouns used
to describe components and other aspects covered in our
specifications.

JMF and I went on a cruise which included a trip to Beijing. We
visited a Children's Palace and discovered a room full of
kids younger than 6 typing on Apple computers. We could
read their code. JMF had a fine discussion about computers
with the teacher; neither knew the other's oral language.

/BAH

Date Subject Author
12/24/09
Read Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Andrew Usher
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Don Phillipson
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Jim Deutch
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
António Marques
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jjs
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Hecman Gun
nuny@bid.ness
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Don Phillipson
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Uncle Al
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
bert
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
James Hogg
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ioannis
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ioannis
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter Moylan
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ruud Harmsen
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
DKleinecke
1/13/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Richard Herring
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Greg Neill
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
António Marques
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
DKleinecke
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Adam Funk
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Adam Funk
3/12/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/31/09
[...]
mahipal7638@gmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
1/2/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
mahipal7638@gmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Dumbledore_
12/25/09
[...]
Charles Riggs
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ian Dalziel
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
James Hogg
12/28/09
Read quark(s) (was: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science)
Adam Funk
1/1/10
Read Re: quark(s) (was: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science)
jimbotuk2000
1/2/10
Read Re: quark(s)
Adam Funk
1/2/10
Read Re: quark(s)
mahipal7638@gmail.com
1/3/10
Read Re: quark(s)
Adam Funk
1/3/10
Read Re: quark(s)
David DeLaney
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Brian M. Scott
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Brian M. Scott
12/31/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/31/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Robert Bannister
1/1/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
1/1/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Cheryl
1/2/10
[...]
Read Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/2/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Immortalist
1/10/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Silverton
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Silverton
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Hogg
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Pat Durkin
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Pat Durkin
1/10/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Peter T. Daniels
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Brian M. Scott
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Peter T. Daniels
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Brian M. Scott
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Jerry Friedman
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZZBunker
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZerkonXXXX
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Robert Bannister
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZZBunker
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Dennis
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
OwlHoot
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/30/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Immortalist
3/11/10
Read Re: What the FUCK does this have to see with mathematics, ASSHOLE
adamk