Topic: algebraic numbers
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jan 8, 2010 4:16 AM

Noqsi

Re: algebraic numbers

On Dec 31, 1:16 am, DrMajorBob <btre...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> This is a little like those idiotic SAT and GRE questions that ask "What's
> the next number in the following series?"... where any number will do.
> Test writers don't seem to know there's an interpolating polynomial (for
> instance) to fit the given series with ANY next element.

Explanations in terms of epicycles may be mathematically adequate in a
narrow sense, but an explanation in terms of a single principle
applied repeatedly is to be preferred in science. The ability to
recognize such a principle is important.

And my mathematical logician son (who's looking over my shoulder)
directed me to http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/ for
research on this topic. When he encounters such a sequence in his
research, he finds that knowledge of a simple genesis for the sequence
can lead to further insight.