The Math Forum

Topic: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Replies: 164   Last Post: Mar 12, 2010 2:43 AM

jmfbahciv

Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science

Cheryl wrote:
> jmfbahciv wrote:
>> Robert Bannister wrote:

>>> Isn't that why Hollywood adopted them so that people wouldn't realise
>>> just how old the films were?
>>>

>> I had class sessions in grade school which taught them. IIRC,
>> it was first or second grade.
>>
>> /BAH
>>

> So did I, I think a little later, and I still remember some of them.

It may have been later; I remember trying to do arithmetic with them.

> don't remember a lot of stuff I was taught in primary or elementary
> school, and I bet for a lot of people, Roman numerals come in the 'not
> remembered' category. I don't even know if they teach them any more, or
> if they don't, when they stopped.

I had assumed they stopped because of the number of people who
didn't know how what CIV was.

> I'd be a lot more knowledgeable than I am if I remembered everything I
> was taught. I'd have gotten better marks in school, too.

<grin>

/BAH

Date Subject Author
12/24/09
Read Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Andrew Usher
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Don Phillipson
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Jim Deutch
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
António Marques
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jjs
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Hecman Gun
nuny@bid.ness
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Don Phillipson
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Uncle Al
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
bert
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
James Hogg
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ioannis
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ioannis
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter Moylan
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ruud Harmsen
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
DKleinecke
1/13/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Richard Herring
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Greg Neill
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
António Marques
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
DKleinecke
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Adam Funk
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Adam Funk
3/12/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/31/09
[...]
mahipal7638@gmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
1/2/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
mahipal7638@gmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Dumbledore_
12/25/09
[...]
Charles Riggs
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ian Dalziel
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
James Hogg
12/28/09
Read quark(s) (was: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science)
Adam Funk
1/1/10
Read Re: quark(s) (was: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science)
jimbotuk2000
1/2/10
Read Re: quark(s)
Adam Funk
1/2/10
Read Re: quark(s)
mahipal7638@gmail.com
1/3/10
Read Re: quark(s)
Adam Funk
1/3/10
Read Re: quark(s)
David DeLaney
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Brian M. Scott
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Brian M. Scott
12/31/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/31/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Robert Bannister
1/1/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
1/1/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Cheryl
1/2/10
[...]
Read Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/2/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Immortalist
1/10/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Silverton
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Silverton
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Hogg
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Pat Durkin
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Pat Durkin
1/10/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Peter T. Daniels
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Brian M. Scott
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Peter T. Daniels
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Brian M. Scott
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Jerry Friedman
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZZBunker
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZerkonXXXX
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Robert Bannister
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZZBunker
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Dennis
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
OwlHoot
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/30/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Immortalist
3/11/10
Read Re: What the FUCK does this have to see with mathematics, ASSHOLE
adamk