Topic: Slightly OT : I hate math
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 6, 2010 11:52 PM

William Elliot

Re: Slightly OT : I hate math

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, junoexpress wrote:

> At social gatherings when people ask what you do, if you say
> mathematics, they'll often respond that they hate math or were
> terrible at in school, etc. Kind of a rude response I think, as I
> wouldn't come out and so openly diss someone's profession like that.

Present yourself more respectably.
What does "openly diss" mean?
Tell them you're a mathematician. "Do math" is so blase.
Are you a statistician? Would you get different replies?
At least people know statisticians can get work.

> And somewhat of a humorous response, since few people would think to
> confess that they were bad at English or could barely read or put
> together a coherent sentence, and yet they so gleefully volunteer that
> they are bad at math.

I fail to see humor. Obtuse irony perhaps.
Likely it's an admission of guilt to which you could reply
"Sorry you did so poorly."

> I'm curious how people who do math respond to those types of comments.

Try explaining mathematics as a hobby.

To "You're a vegetarian?!" I usually just confirm
the statement and ignore the emotional connotations.