Topic: Slightly OT : I hate math
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 6, 2010 11:52 PM

Jared

Re: Slightly OT : I hate math

On Feb 4, 10:32 am, "Jon Slaughter" <Jon_Slaugh...@Hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jared wrote:
> > On Feb 4, 1:29 am, junoexpress <mtbrenne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> At social gatherings when people ask what you do, if you say
> >> mathematics, they'll often respond that they hate math or were
> >> terrible at in school, etc. Kind of a rude response I think, as I
> >> wouldn't come out and so openly diss someone's profession like that.
> >> And somewhat of a humorous response, since few people would think to
> >> confess that they were bad at English or could barely read or put
> >> together a coherent sentence, and yet they so gleefully volunteer
> >> that they are bad at math. I'm curious how people who do math
> >> respond to those types of comments.

> > It's possible to have more aptitude for math than 90% of the college
> > population, and still not have enjoyed math classes.

> That isn't saying much. The 90th percentile still sucks at math. You only
> begin to like math when you actually understand it.

Still, if you said someone at the 90th percentile verbally "could
barely put together a coherent sentence" you would be wrong, and I
think it's also wrong to denigrate the math skills of someone at that
level in those terms.

Usually, when people are proud to profess their ignorance of
something, it's because those who are among the elite and
knowledgeable have a reputation for being condescending and unpleasant
about their superiority.