Topic: numel or length, which is better?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Dec 14, 2014 9:29 PM

Jos

Re: numel or length, which is better?

"red " <828bwv@googlemail.com> wrote in message <hkh0jh$sdb$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Which is correct/better usage for vectors (1-by-n, n-by-1)?

LENGTH is somewhat tricky since it returns the largest of the sizes in all dimensions. It can become nasty to debug errors when you supply matrices instead of vectors.

I always use NUMEL to find the number of elements, which is as clear as it can get.

Although I do not know the internal processes going on in LENGTH and NUMEL, I assume that LENGTH requires more internal steps.

hth
Jos