Topic: Sixth grade math
Replies: 115   Last Post: Feb 15, 2010 5:36 AM

ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com

Re: Sixth grade math

On Feb 10, 4:36 am, "T.H. Ray" <thray...@aol.com> wrote:
> Ostap Bender wrote
>

> > On Feb 9, 4:02 am, "T.H. Ray" <thray...@aol.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Ostap Bender wrote

> > <thray...@aol.com>

> > theoretic

> > define
> > numbers to
> > every

> > be

> > such

> > other

> > the

> > go on

> > or

> > properties

> > description?

> > ->

> > _is_ a

> > you

> > assignment

> > operate

> > the

> > and B

> > f:

> > B.

> > so

> > functions

> > that

> > give

> > > If you don't know what the logical terms necessary
> > and
> > > sufficient mean, I can't help you.
>
> > Is it necessary for you to act as an insulting
> > jackass? Suffices to
> > say that I have been familiar with the terms
> > necessary and sufficient
> > since 8th grade.

> Good.  And I didn't mean to be insulting.  Sorry.
>

> > What I referred to is your sentence:

> > If you were so much more of a logician than I, you
> > would know that
> > when you say that something is "a necessary
> > condition", you must
> > specify FOR WHAT it is a necessary condition.

> It seems I have to keep repeating myself.  I thought
> I was clear that function was not defined until the
> (necessary)relation between setsw as defined.

"Clear" is the last word I and most other people here would apply to
your exposition of your own thoughts. Your explanations are the most
cryptic I have ever seen.

> > I recommend that you familiarise yourself with the
> > concept of
> > "necessary condition".

> Will do.

> > obey
> > function.

> > all

> > that

> > people to

> > not
>
> > > I'm afraid your concrete thinking won't get you to
> > the
> > > abstract meaning of function.  Your particular eye
> > > color has nothing to do with the set of the

> > population
> > > that maps to the set of eye colors distributed
> > among the
> > > population.
>
> > What is this "set of the population" that you refer
> > to? Do you belong
> > to it? How about my barber?

> I do, and my barber as well--I cut my own hair.

But you didn't answer the ACTUAL question: What is this "set of the
population" that you refer to?

> > The bottom line is that I consider eye colour to be a
> > legitimate
> > function that maps each mammal to his/her eye colour.

> Yes, but you're leaving out the necessary relation
> between sets that allows a mapping. If those terms of
> existence were not important, any relation would be a
> function.

But how does your general amorphous paragraph above relate to the "eye
colour" function? Can't you be concrete?

> > meaning.
> > match
> > mere
> > that

> > not

> > viewed

> > this

> > models

> > > Betweeness is one term that is often used.
>
> > Is this the best you can do? Are you familiar with
> > the concept of
> > "definition"?

> Oh, apparently not.

So, what is "a property of transformation"?

> > "black

> > temperatures
> > take a

> > each

> > today?

> > and
> > pressure,

> > > Look--if you want to know the fixed point theorem,
> > go
> > > learn it.  A good popular source is John Casti's
> > > Five Golden Rules.

> > I am familiar with the fixed point theorem since my
> > freshman year in
> > college. And I am familiar with the concept of "fixed
> > point of a
> > function". I am also familiar with the concept of
> > "fixed point
> > property of a topological space". What I am
> > unfamiliar with is the
> > concept of "fixed point of THE topology".

> I gave you a _very_ well known result of Brouwer's fixed
> point theorem that you claim to know so well.  Here,
> try this:
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=M-qK8anbZmwC&pg=PA395&lpg=PA395&dq=w...

I understand that you are referring to the Meteorology Theorem that
shows that "somewhere on the Earth, there is a pair of antipodal
points having simultaneously the same temperature and pressure".
Hardly a surprising result. What i don't understand is how this result
relates to the general question of what is and what isn't a function
in mathematics. Why did you bring this theorem up in our discussion?

> > In any case, let me remind you that the title of this
> > thread is: Sixth
> > grade math. Here we are discussing how to explain the
> > concept of a
> > function to an average 6th grader. Do you think that
> > your explanations
> > here are indeed a good way to familiarise 11-year-pld
> > children with
> > what a function is?

> No.  You'd have to go back to my original comments to
> get my opinion on that.
>

> > Is this what you are going to tell the 6th grade
> > child: "If you want
> > to know the fixed point theorem, go learn it.  A good
> > popular source
> > is John Casti's Five Golden Rules"?

> > constant

> > opposite

> > > Yep.  They do.
>
> > No, they don't. I asked my friend meteorologist to
> > make sure, and he
> > told me that they don't.

> He's wrong.  To be precise, temperature and barometric
> pressure are identical, as I first made clear.

Only for SOME point, not ALL points. Where did you say "some"?

> > those

> > > The two dimensional surface of a 2-sphere; i.e.,
> > the
> > > Earth.
>
> > What do you mean by "The cities, which occupy fixed
> > points on the
> > Earth"? Are there cities that occupy fixed points on
> > the Earth and
> > cities that don't? Are you talking about mobile
> > cities?

> > function.

> > you
>
> > > I don't assign meaning.  I abstract it.
>
> > Is this what you do? You abstract meaning? A very
> > interesting
> > pastime.

> > > I'm not a philosopher, either.  I regret that you
> > > do not understand me, and I apologize for my lack

> > of
> > > clarity.
>
> > Somehow I feel that you are avoiding precision on
> > purpose. I fail to
> > se why a person would make no effort to make himself
> > to be understood
> > by others.

> > One of the most influential films that I saw in
> > childhood had the
> > following episode. The students were to write a
> > composition titled
> > "What is Happiness". The hero's composition consisted
> > of only one
> > sentence: "Happiness is when you are understood".

> It's a rather brash extrapolation, isn't it, that
> because you do not understand me, no one does.

Am I the only one here in this thread who says that they find you hard
to understand? Just look around.

Date Subject Author
1/25/10
Read Sixth grade math
[...]
[...]