Topic: Self-studying calculus?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 27, 2010 9:59 AM

J. Clarke

Re: Self-studying calculus?

On 2/25/2010 8:38 PM, Raziel wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm young (not that much, not that few) and I'm having problems at
> learning at school.
> I'm attending the high school, and I'm having most problems with limits
> and function continuity.
>
> May someone advice me for a good book about calculus ?
>
> But, often legendary books gets publishied. Say, the K&R about the C
> language... Isn't there anything like the K&R about maths ?

The "legendary" calculus text would be Apostol. It comes in two thick,
dense, expensive, and thorough volumes. But if you don't already have
some slight clue what's going on it might be overwhelming for self-teaching.

The Schaums Outline is a classic, in print since the early '60s, it's
gotten legions of science and engineering students through calculus.
It's not strong on theory--it teaches you how to drive the bus, not how
it's built, with a very large number of solved problems.

There's a "Calculus for Dummies" that has a lot of positive feedback on
Amazon. I haven't looked at it myself so can't comment on how good or
bad it might be.

For a somewhat different approach, Keisler uses an extension of the
reals to allow an approach using infinitesimals--it may confuse you
completely or the different approach may give you just the piece you
need--in any case it's free for personal use
<http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html>.