Topic: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Replies: 20   Last Post: Mar 10, 2010 6:47 PM

master1729

From: planet earth
Registered: 7/10/09
Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)

Larry Hammick wrote :

> "riderofgiraffes"

> > Feel free to include nominations for "greatest
> > ever" as well:
> >
> > Euler, Gauss, Eudoxus, Fermat, ...
> >
> > And of course, Erdos.

> Ramanujan and Cauchy are big standouts, in my mind
> anyway.

dead mathematicians who believed in god

1) Cauchy

however it needs to be said :

a) Cauchy-Riemann equations had been previously discovered by d'Alembert.

b) hypothesized that ether had the mechanical properties of an elasticity medium.

= considered today to be cranky ? i guess glird got his ether ideas from Cauchy ? Does elasticity really explain the ' no propulsion question ' i asked recently ?

c) Cauchy's elasticity theory had problems.

Cauchy is rated 3000.

regards

tommy1729

Date Subject Author
3/5/10
Read Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
riderofgiraffes
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Larry Hammick
3/6/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
master1729
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
G. A. Edgar
3/8/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Obispo de Tolosa
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
gerry@math.mq.edu.au
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Ioannis
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Omega Cubed
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
anonymous.rubbertube@yahoo.com
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Frederick Williams
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
omega