The Math Forum

Topic: The Purposes and Depths of Mathematics
Replies: 9   Last Post: Mar 10, 2010 12:50 PM

Louis Talman

Re: The Purposes and Depths of Mathematics

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> Lou wrote:
>
> "This says it all. By his own admission, Hansen's understanding of mathematics "lacks any real fluency". And yet he will undertake to tell us what "authentic" mathematics is."
>

> My reply:
>
> Actually Lou, I have fluency in all three.

Says the man who didn't know what the word "tautology" means---let
alone why it's a word that's important in mathematics.

What would you say about me, Robert, if I claimed enough fluency in
engineering to pass judgment on whether or not a curriculum represents
"authentic" engineering? Would you be justified in suggesting that my
abysmal ignorance is eclipsed only by the magnitude of my arrogance?

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>