Topic: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Replies: 20   Last Post: Mar 10, 2010 6:47 PM

Gerry Myerson

Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)

In article
<6335e418-1355-4c95-b8f3-3e6a19217259@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
A <anonymous.rubbertube@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 9:01 am, Tonico <Tonic...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > I was rooting for you, Bart. I couldn't believe they gave it
> > > to that Wiles guy instead.
> > > --
> > > GM

> > They actually didn't give it to Wiles: he only got to receive a
> > special IMU silver plaque in 1998, because at the time the proof was
> > finally presented with corrections and stuff, in 1994, he was over 40
> > years old, which is the stupid and ridiculous age limit Fields Medal
> > have and is why, in true comparison, the Fields Medal doesn't hold a
> > candle to the Noble Prizes.
> >
> > We really need a mathematics prize comparable to the Nobel Prize in
> > importance and projection: the Fields Medal is ONLY for a particular
> > achievment AND under the age of 40, and not for mathematical
> > importance/transcendence, which should be, imo, without any age
> > restriction.
> > Perhaps the closest one is the Wolf Prize, but still far behind the
> > importance of a Nobel, comparatively.
> >
> > Tonio

> How about the Abel Prize?

Don't you have to be a commuter to win that one?

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)

Date Subject Author
3/5/10
Read Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
riderofgiraffes
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Larry Hammick
3/6/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
master1729
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
G. A. Edgar
3/8/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Obispo de Tolosa
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
gerry@math.mq.edu.au
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Ioannis
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Omega Cubed
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
anonymous.rubbertube@yahoo.com
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Frederick Williams
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
omega