Topic: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Replies: 20   Last Post: Mar 10, 2010 6:47 PM

Bart Goddard

Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)

"I.N. Galidakis" <morpheus@olympus.mons> wrote in

> Gerry Myerson wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> Perhaps we could pass the virtual hat around and raise funds
>> for a prestigious Sci.Math.Medal to be awarded annually by a
>> committee composed of Robert Israel, Gerald Edgar, Arturo
>> Magidin, etc.

> As far as sci.math is concerned, I would give the virtual hat to
> Robert, with my apologies to all the rest mentioned.
>
> He possesses some of the best properties in the tradition of the
> Ancients:
>
> He is humble, silent, quick, efficient, optimal, helpful,
> non-boasting, very slow to anger, non-show off, non-judgmental,
> patient, open-minded, honest, not opinionated, psychologically
> balanced, does not participate in flame wars, and he is an expert in
> the subjects he touches.

So, in other words, he epitomizes everything that sci.math
is NOT. We might be insulting him if we gave him the
sci.math award (the "Newty".)

B.

--
Cheerfully resisting change since 1959.

Date Subject Author
3/5/10
Read Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
riderofgiraffes
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Larry Hammick
3/6/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
master1729
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
G. A. Edgar
3/8/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Obispo de Tolosa
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
gerry@math.mq.edu.au
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Ioannis
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Omega Cubed
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
anonymous.rubbertube@yahoo.com
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Frederick Williams
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
omega