Topic: FW: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!
Replies: 4   Last Post: Nov 5, 2010 2:56 PM

Allan Turton

From: Australia
Registered: 3/9/06
FW: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!

Thanks Mary. I'm not sure what you mean by the "ears" - I'm guessing you
mean that they extend the acute angles even further than what they had drawn
originally. I guess they might have been exposed to the idea that a diamond
must be "pointy", rather than a diamond must have equal sides.

The holly leaf difficulty is something I've not seen. Perhaps it's related
to how some people, some of the time, do things as reflections. For example,
I've noticed that some young children will suddenly write their name
backwards, sometimes with the letters reflected too, sometimes not. I've
also noticed that in groups I do paper-folding with, maybe 5-10% of children
and adults will do all the steps as a mirror image even when the
instructions are right in front of them. For example, they fold the top-left
corner instead of the top-right corner.

As for when not including squares as rectangles becomes a problem, there are
a couple of instances I can think of, but mostly confined to the classroom
environment. One is in testing situations where knowledge/ignorance of
square-as-rectangle can trip up students on badly chosen test items. The
second is when students are trying to establish relationships between shapes
to see the value of class inclusion. Outside of school, knowing a square is
a type of rectangle seems to have almost no value except at trivia nights.
Perhaps this is why curriculum writers can't be bothered getting it right -
people function extremely well without knowing any different.

Allan

------ End of Forwarded Message