Topic: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!
Replies: 17   Last Post: Mar 29, 2010 10:12 PM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!

Allan and others,

All these questions about geometric shapes and their names is
interesting and worth considering. A related issue about whether
equilateral triangles should be considered isosceles as well,
which I had begun a discussion about last summer on mathedu,
showed me that there is no consensus--even among mathematicians--
on this issue.

I too prefer an inclusive approach to most of these definitions
since many theorems that apply to one of these shapes will hold
for other shapes if we use these inclusive definitions. And
many mathematical definitions in other areas are also inclusive.
For example, groups are semigroups as well (at least according to
the definitions of semigroup that I have seen). Inner product
spaces are also vector spaces. Vector spaces over a field F
are F-modules. Differentiable functions might be twice-
differentiable, thrice-differentiable, etc. or even infinitely
differentiable (not necessarily, of course).

I see nothing wrong with using the term "oblong" for a
rectangle that is not a square.

"Oblique rhombus" works well for a rhombus that is not a
square because "oblique" often is used to describe a geometric
figure without any right angles or one having an axis not
perpendicular to the base. And these descriptions fit these
kinds of rhombuses. The term "diamond" does not sound good
to me--at least not as a formal mathematical term because it sounds
too casual to me--and is misleading because a baseball diamond is
actually a square. It is called a diamond only because of
its position relative to the viewers. But geometric shapes
such as these are not named for the position they are in.

I have seen the term "rhomboid" in several books, and this
word is used in the sense you are using it here. Wikipedia
labels this term as a traditional term. Since it is an
acceptable term already, why not use it? The only
problem I have with it is that the term suggests that such
shapes ought to be related to rhombuses in some way.
But certain other words in mathematics are not accurate either:
Examples include "imaginary number," "real number," and "negative
number." If I had to reject "rhomboid" for this reason, I would
have to reject these other words as well, but I have no viable
alternatives for these words.

I would support Conway's use of the word "strombus." I don't know
if he has included this term in his books yet.

The term "scalene trapezoid" sounds good to me since it is an
extension of the term "scalene triangle" for a triangle that is
not an isosceles triangle. And I see nothing wrong with using
the term "oblique scalene trapezoid" as well.

How about the term "oblique isosceles trapezoid" for isosceles
trapezoids that are not rectangles?

Jonathan Groves