The Math Forum

Topic: An Open Letter to Arne Duncan
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 25, 2010 8:56 PM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: An Open Letter to Arne Duncan

Jerry,

I thank you for posting this story about Walt Gardner's open letter to
Arne Duncan. Gardner makes some valid points about businesses controlling
schools too much and Duncan killing teacher morale and not praising
good schools enough for their good work.

Speaking of failing schools, I think the real problem is that the data
collected on the standardized tests mandated by NCLB lumps all failing
schools into the same category rather than trying to find the causes
of failure. There is a vast difference between a school that fails
because most of the teachers are lazy, incompetent in pedagogy and/or
subject knowledge, etc. versus a school that fails because of limited
resources or lack of cooperation from parents and the community or
a vast student population from broken or poor homes but that the teachers
are dedicated to their students. Schools within this first category
fail because they do not try; schools within the second category fail
because they try to do all the work themselves when it is impossible
for schools to do that. Teachers are important factors in students'
successes, but they cannot do that alone. They need the help of
parents and the community and administration as well. They also need
corporation from their own students, too. A student is who dead set against
genuine learning and the work required to learn will not succeed--no matter
how good the teacher is. A class full of students who threaten to rebel
or to complain to the administration who is sympathetic to them
because they cannot get an easy A with minimal work or because the teacher
refuses to teach them from the textbook because the teacher knows the book
is crap (and we know that many math textbooks are crap) cannot be helped much
by a teacher because either the teacher will give in to the students to
save his or her job or the teacher will be fired for refusing to give in.
Ignoring these distinctions between such failing schools is causing
a lot of unnecessary harm to teachers and students.

I know that the cooperation of the administration is a major factor
in teachers' successes because there are ideas I want to try in my teaching
but that I am not allowed to do so. For example, I would like to chuck
their textbooks because they are the standard textbooks that gut nearly all
reasoning and motivation and beauty from mathematics. And I would like
to give assignments and projects that encourage them to think about
mathematics and to enjoy exploring some ideas on their own. But I'm
forced to use the textbook and their assignments and course materials
as they developed them. That's not to say that I will or can make my
ideas work if I tried them. Instead, this is to say that a mathematics
teacher who tries to teach students genuine mathematics and genuine
mathematical thinking will struggle greatly in succeeding at these
schools because he or she would find it extremely difficult--if not
impossible--to do so while obeying the schools' policies.

Another harm that Arne Duncan is causing is automatically labeling
schools with high standardized test scores as good schools. Standardized
tests as mandated by NCLB completely or almost completely ignore
reasoning, critical and creative thinking, and other deep traits
that good learners must have and instead focus mainly on students'
abilities to regurgitate facts on exams. Just because a student can
recite all these facts doesn't mean that the student can make sense of
them or use them to think critically. And let's not forget all the
undetected cheating on these exams. How many of these good schools
are really good schools after all?

Jonathan Groves