Topic: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!
Replies: 17   Last Post: Mar 29, 2010 10:12 PM

Joe Niederberger

Re: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!

My son's texbook mostly uses inclusion -
that seems "natural" to me and always has,
its the way I was taught. One exception
is "kite" versus "rhombus".

Now why would that exception be made?

Perhaps answering that question is as important
as the rest. And being flexible enough to see that
different defnitions could be made and everything
still works out fine. What are the considerations in
leaning one way versus another? My son can entertain
those sorts of thoughts. Once that stage is reached,
its of far lesser concern what road is actually taken.

Also, Venn Diagrams of course are indispensible here.

Joe N.