Topic: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!
Replies: 17   Last Post: Mar 29, 2010 10:12 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!

Allan Turton posted Mar 27, 2010 12:34 PM:

> I wouldn't mind (well, not too much) if a government
> or non-government body proposed a hierarchy and
> definitions that were different to the ones that I
> work with, so long as they were explicit and
> internally consistent. If you can do that Lou, you've
> got my vote for king!

My vote would be for a 'non-government body' (including elements from government) to do it.

The problem solving aid I've often mentioned here, the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS), using 'prose + structural graphics' (p+sg), would be an excellent tool to help ensure that discussions stay largely on track and also to help that they would not tend to go 'round and 'round the mulberry bush as do most such discussions conducted in the normal prose mode (see attachment).

GSC
P.S.: SPECIAL FOR WAYNE BISHOP: Yes, Dr. Bishop, there were reports presented of at least 50 or so workshops conducted for organisations where such tricky issues were effectively handled using OPMS. Yes, Dr Bishop, several of those organisations are still using OPMS to conduct many of their meetings on tricky issues.

No, Dr Bishop, there are no schools or universities that have used OPMS as yet. However, there are several teachers (both in the US and in India) learning how to use OPMS, so I should expect that in due course there would be schools using OPMS to conduct some of their meetings. (I shall be sure to keep this forum informed of any progress in this direction).

Yes, Dr Bishop, there have been hundreds of workshops conducted on a whole number of tricky issues for organisations, schools and universities using 'Interactive Management' (IM) processes in the US, India, China, Africa, (IM being the set of management practices, developed by Emeritus Professor John N. Warfield, based on which OPMS was developed). As Professor John N. Warfield, the progenitor of IM died in December 2009, there is likely to be a hiatus in these IM workshops for some time - but there are pretty good records available of the IM workshops at the 'John N. Warfield Collection' of books, papers and presentations held at the library of George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, USA - check out http://u2.gmu.edu:8080/handle/1920/3059. Background information about IM is also available from http://www.jnwarfield.com.

One of the books written by Warfield was "Introduction to Systems Science" (World Scientific Publishing Co., 2006 - check out http://books.google.co.in/books?id=MmX0TnVBLKAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=john+n.+Warfield,+%22introduction+to+systems+science%22&source=bl&ots=in0I1jF4Be&sig=PCNGbM0-iRY35ThwGIWSXSDUKHo&hl=en&ei=7cavS6-HE5O8rAfB09TMCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false - tinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/ylxcq6p).

Also in this book there was quite prominent mention of OPMS - a whole section was in fact devoted to it. Robert Hansen in one of his postings at this forum had pointed to another site in which OPMS was mentioned.