The Math Forum

Topic: statistical t test to compare two groups
Replies: 2   Last Post: May 12, 2010 10:21 AM

Peter Perkins

Re: statistical t test to compare two groups

On 5/11/2010 5:01 PM, uny gg wrote:

> I have two sets of dataset. I would like to test where the mean of the
> first group is significantly larger than the other group.
>
> I am wondering whether there is direct test or not.

If you have the Statistics Toolbox,

>> help ttest2
TTEST2 Two-sample t-test with pooled or unpooled variance estimate.
[snip]
H = TTEST2(X,Y,ALPHA,TAIL) performs the test against the alternative
hypothesis specified by TAIL:
'both' -- "means are not equal" (two-tailed test)
'right' -- "mean of X is greater than mean of Y" (right-tailed
test)
'left' -- "mean of X is less than mean of Y" (left-tailed test)
TAIL must be a single string.