The Math Forum

Topic: Am I punctual?
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jul 27, 2010 10:50 PM

Greg Neill

Re: Am I punctual?

musicgold wrote:
> Thanks Barb,
>
> This is not a homework problem. It is a real life situation. I am just

trying to apply my math knowledge in day to day situations.

> There was a discussion among my collegues. If a person is usually on time

for work, but sometimes gets late, should we consider
> him panctual or not?
>
> One argument is the person is not punctual if he misses the 8 am mark even

once. My argument is we should consider the situation
> from a statistic point of view. The person's travel time from his home to
the factory is a function of various random factors on
> which he has no control. Of course, the person can start early from home
to have some safety cusion in his commute, but even that
> has to have some reasonable limits. You can't expect one to have a cusion
period of one hour to avoid any possible event that can
> delay him for his factory shift.
>
> I am trying to understand the best way to evaluate this situation.

Employer's point of view: If you're not on time, every time, barring
natural disaster or outbreak of war, you're not punctual. Some
employers may be more lenient than others depending upon the
nature of the job and personal emergency.

A missing factory line worker can stall an entire production line.
This is why there are timecards and time clocks for punching in --
so employers can weed out those who can't be counted on and
replace them with those who can make the effort to be punctual.

The bottom line is, the only definition that counts as to what
constitutes punctuality is that of the employer. If you ask the HR
department they may have a written guideline that they apply
which may or may not involve some form of statistical analysis.